Oh boy, I just do not know how teachers do it everyday! I was totally tired out after a day full of basically teaching 18 students.
My teacher-for-a-day experience was thanks to a special day at my school called World Affairs. Each year, upperclassmen and experienced people from the community hold seminars on an important world topic. For that day, all classes are cancelled, and the students from the upper school attend the seminars that interest them instead.
This year I was chosen to be a student leader/presenter on the media messaging through film. My presentation was mostly discussion based, using film clips to illustrate different messages. In most of the sessions there were a lot of different throughtful opinions on the subject. I really loved hearing what everyone had to say. However, I think the best part was watching them perform short skits at the end to illustrate what they learned and how they felt about the topic I gave them. In a scene about relationships, two freshmen portrayed an underlying message of getting married for the wrong reasons. When they showed the wedding scene, the minister said, “You may now hug the bride.” Too cute!
I had a lot of fun interacting with different students and hearing what they had to say. When all was said and done, though, I was pooped! (How do teachers do it everyday?!) At least I had yoga to relax and reenergize me. In fact, I had an awesome practice. It was hot & sweaty—just how I like it. The second half of the practice even included an Ashtanga Primary Series-like sequence. Every part of my body felt definitely felt “touched” (stretched). It was glorious!
Yoga must have really gotten my creative juices flowing because when I came home, I was inspired to make cookies. However, these were not just any old cookies. I decided to go all out by making Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cherry Cookies. Using a little cinnamon and espresso powder (my secret weapons!) amped up the chocolate flavor while cooking them for just the right about of time made them luciously brownie-like.
Although I gave a few to my yoga teacher this morning, the batch at home is already almost gone! Actually, my uncle (I call him Pasta—more about that later) just came to grab a few more and told me that I should tell you all to “Make. These. Now.” He also wanted to give them a name. These Double Chocolate Cherry Blasts are for you, Pasta.
Double Chocolate Cherry Blast Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2TBS cocoa powder, sifted (if clumpy)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter)
- 1/3 cup sugar (make sure it is organic to make these truly vegan)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax seed + 3 TBS water + 15 minutes to sit&gel)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries (Michigan are the best—I may be a little biased)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, espresso powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Beat together Earth Balance, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. (Stand mixers are awesome for this!)
- Add flax egg and beat until combined.
- Slowly add dry mixture in stages until a dough forms.
- Stir in chocolate chips and dried cherries, dispersing as evenly as possible.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to drop 2 TBS balls of dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
Questions: Do you like public speaking? And what mass media do you use most (ex. texting, Facebook, blogging, Twitter, etc.)?
Have a lovely day!