Thing have been a little (okay, a lot) cray-cray over here. I’ll spare you the details, but basically I spent the better part of yesterday on the couch in complete pain. My stomach was NOT happy with me, and I couldn’t figure out why. My dad has IBS, but I’ve been able to keep whatever genetic disposal I have to it at bay thanks to the way I live (diet and exercise, my friends), knock on wood. So what could it be? Turns out I finally caught up with the rest of the women in my family and have finally inherited terrible cramps. Talk about a monthly gift!
Okay, that’s enough of that. TMI, much? Well, there is a point to my less than apetizing story. First of all, I went to yoga regardless of my stomach’s protest and ended up feeling fabulous afterwards. Sure, it wasn’t my greatest practice, but it did keep the cramps at bay for a solid 5 hours. Now that’s what I’m talking about.
Second of all, laying on the couch with no will to move reminded me (however painfully) that sometimes it’s important to slow down. I ensure that I dedicate at least one hour a day to myself by practicing yoga, but I’m not exactly one to sit still. Having no other choice but to be sedentary for the evening, I made up for some serious lost time.
Do yourself a favor and take some “still time” on YOUR time. In fact, sit back and smell the flowers a bit.
And while you’re at it, why not munch on a freshly baked vegan donut while sipping your favorite tea (or coffee) and curling up with a good book in a sunny spot? Now that’s what I’m REALLY talking about.
Homemade Baked Vegan Donuts
vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free
makes 7-9 donuts
- 1 cup flour (can use GF)
- 1/2 cup NuNatural’s Stevia Baking Blend OR organic sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 4 TBS Earth Balance (or coconut oil)
- 1 TBS Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 3 TBS water (not GF) OR 1-1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer (GF) + 2 TBS water
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a donut pan (or muffin tin) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a microwave safe dish (or in a pan over the stove), melt Earth Balance.
- Meanwhile, use a fork to vigorously mix together egg replacer and water.
- Combine melted Earth Balance, egg replacer mixture, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop or two spoons to dollop enough batter into each donut cavity to almost, but not quite, fill it.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. The donuts should bounce back a little when you touch them, but should not be brown.
- Remove donuts and cool on a baking rack.
- Dip in icing (recipe below) and sprinkle with toppings until your heart’s content!
- 1/2 cup powdered (confectioners) sugar, sifted
- 1-2 TBS almond milk (start with 1 TBS)
- Whisk together powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract until no lumps remain. Add additional almond milk if it seems to thick (or additional powdered sugar if it is too thin).