With hints of citrusy lemon and oozing sweet blueberries, this recipe is a sweet take on cornbread that tastes perfectly light and refreshing. It’s perfect with a tall glass of almond milk for breakfast, spread with some almond butter for a snack, or even as a side dish to a Southern-fusion meal. The burst of lemon and blueberry flavor is gaurenteed to keep you coming back for more!
Blueberry Lemon Cornbread
vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, fat-free
Makes one mini loaf (or a few muffins) —> can easily be doubled, trippled, etc. for a normal loaf pan
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (66 g)
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (15 g)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- sweetener, to taste (I use ~1/4-1/2 packet stevia)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 (heaping) TBS unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 (heaping) tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a mini loaf with cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Combine cornmeal, buckwheat flour, baking powder, and sweetener in a bowl.
- Mix in almond milk and applesauce.
- Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Pour into a mini loaf pan (or a muffin tin).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.