Oh, hello there. How are you doing on this beautiful Monday?
Did you have a nice weekend? I sure did! Since today is my first official day of spring break, I didn’t have to open my backpack all weekend. In fact, I barely even thought about schoolwork. It was truly liberating!
Instead of doing homework, I filled my time with other things, such as yoga, baking, and baby sitting. I recently started babysitting for a new family, and I couldn’t be happier! The 10 year old I babysit is an absolute joy to play with. And when we’re finished having fun, she is even willing to go to bed without any problem.
I think bringing her freshly baked cookies set the tone right. It’s truly amazing what people will do for these chocolate chip cookie dough balls.
On another note, I also worked on a new recipe for orange chocolate donuts. In all honesty, this recipe grew out of necessity. My uncle brought too many oranges, so he asked me if I could figure out how to use them. No produce goes wasted in this house!
I’m so glad he inspired me because these donuts were such a hit. I actually brought them to school last week, and they were gobbled up within minutes. I’m always so happy to see my classmates enjoying compassionate vegan treats. Even though everyone knows I bake vegan, many people often tell me, “I can’t believe this is vegan!” (However, no one knew these donuts were reduced-fat. A baker has to keep some secrets, after all!)
Vegan or not, I think the other students could smell their delicious scent from the other side of the school. Anyone remember those chocolate orange balls that looked like an orange but were made out of chocolate?
Well, that’s exactly what these donuts smelled like. It was heavenly!
Orange Chocolate Donuts
Makes 8-12 donuts
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax meal + 3 TBS warm water + few minutes to gel)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS oil (canola, coconut, or whatever you prefer)
- 2 TBS unsweetened applesauce
- zest from 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder baking powder, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together sugar, flax egg, almond milk, vanilla extract, oil, and applesauce.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until well-combined.
- Mix in orange zest.
- Distribute batter evenly, filling each donut cavity about 2/3 way full.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the donuts spring back and a toothpick inserted in the donuts comes out clean.
- Enjoy as is or dip in an easy glaze (click here for the recipe) and top with freshly grated orange zest.