My world has been completely flipped upside down in the past 48 hours. All I can say is that I’m more excited than ever to start my college life! I am still working out the details, but I can’t wait to share the good news with you all soon.
In celebration, I would like to share a recipe for Caramelized Banana-Stuffed Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting with you.
As usual, this recipe grew out of necessity. I scored a large bunch of slightly spotty bananas on sale for 19 cents, but didn’t know what to do with them. After making banana soft serve, roasting/sauteeing bananas is my favorite way to eat the sweet fruit, so I developed the idea into a full-fledged dessert.
Stuffing the bananas in the center of the cupcake definitely amps up the traditional vanilla cupcake and is a delicious suprise to bite into. Naturally peanut butter frosting completes the flavor profile. Peanut butter and bananas were just meant for each other! (Add a chocolate drizzle to the mix, and I guarantee your taste buds will thank you.)
Even though this recipe has a few steps (cupcakes, filling, frosting), it’s actually quite easy to make! I suppose if you were crunched on time, you could also make a boxed mix for the cupcakes and just use the filling + frosting to dress them up. However, with a cupcake recipe as easy as this, you’ll never need another boxed mix again!
So whether you’re celebrating a big announcement like me or just another beautiful day in the life of you, I hope these cupcakes will make your life just a little bit sweeter.
Caramelized Banana-Stuffed Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
(makes 6 cupcakes)
- 1 recipe vanilla cupcakes (see below)
- 1 recipe caramelized banana filling (see below)
- 1 recipe peanut butter frosting (see below)
- melted chocolate, for drizzling (optional)
- chopped bananas, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare all recipes.
- Cut a circle out of each cooled cupcake. This should make a little cone-shaped well big enough for you to stuff Banana filling into.
- Place a dollop of banana filling into each well. It can come a little over the top of the well, but it should not be too much.
- Once banana filling has set a bit inside the cupcake, frost cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.
- Using a fork, drizzle each cupcake with melted chocolate, if desired. Garnish with chopped bananas.
Easy Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
(makes 6 cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS flour
- 1 TBS arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TBS oil
- 1/4 cup + 2TBS NuNaturals Stevia Baking Blend or organic sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a small muffin tin with cupcake holders.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a few minutes to curdle. (This creates vegan buttermilk.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, arrowroot/cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. (*For best results, sift them together.)
- In another bowl, use a fork to combine oil, stevia baking blend/sugar, and vanilla extract. Add in almond milk mixture from step 2. Mix until no clumps remain.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until well-combined.
- Evenly distribute batter between 6 muffin cups, filling them up about 2/3 way full. (I use an ice cream scooper or measuring cup for this.)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack.
Caramelized Banana Filling
- 1TBS earth balance or coconut oil
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1 TBS maple syrup, or more to taste
- pinch of cinnamon and salt (optional)
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-low heat.
- Add earth balance. Once hot, add bananas.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. The bananas should start to reduce and become saucy.
- Add in maple syrup. Cook for ~2 more minutes, caramelizing the bananas further with the sugar from the syrup.
- Remove from heat to cool + thicken a little bit.
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 TBS Earth Balance or coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ~1-2 TBS non-dairy milk, to thin (if needed)
- In a large bowl or stand-mixer, beat peanut butter and earth balance until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar until frosting becomes thick. Add in a little non-dairy milk at a time, if needed, to thin the frosting to desired consistency.
What are you celebrating today? Are you a pb + banana fan?
Have a lovely day!