These muffins speak for themselves.
Fluffy muffins filled with sweet cinnamon-coated apples and topped with a beautiful brown-sugar oatmeal streusel.
Why? Because let’s be honest: it’s really all about that beautiful crumb. It’s perfect for delicately picking apart piece by piece with your fingers, savoring every bite or just grabbing for an afternoon on the go. With bakery-style muffins, this time vegan and just a little bit healthier, it’s good that muffins can be enjoyed all day long… not that that ever stopped anyone before.
Vegan Apple Streusel Muffins with Oatmeal Crumb Topping
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/4 cup flour (can use AP Gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup oats (use certified-GF if you have a sensitivity)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 TBS Earth Balance
- 1-1/4 cup flour (can use AP Gluten-free)
- 1 cup rolled oats (use certified-GF if you have a sensitivity)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 TBS oil
- 1.5 tsp egg replacer + 2 TBS warm water (prepared) OR 1 TBS flax meal + 3 TBS warm water (prepared)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease or line a muffin tin.
- To make streusel topping: Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut Earth Balance into mixture using two knifes. The texture should be crumbly.
- To make batter: In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix almond milk, oil, prepared egg replacer mixture, and vanilla extract. Pour wet mixture into dry and mix to combine. Stir in chopped apples.
- Evenly distribute muffin batter into 12 muffin cups. Top with a generous tablespoon or two of streusel topping.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove muffins from oven and let cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling wrack.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
What’s your favorite kind of muffin? Do you like sweet, bakery-style muffins or more hearty ones?
Have a lovely day!