You know what they say, you never forget how to ride a bike…
…err, I mean, bake. I’ve been making my usual staples time and time again (apple nutmeg muffins, I’m looking at you!), but this weekend I finally got back into the kitchen to experiment. I made vanilla donuts, two types of reduced-sugar and -fat frostings, gluten-free + vegan donuts, and wild blueberry muffins.
I just couldn’t help myself! Even though just the thought of turning the oven on the summer heat makes me sweat, the breeze that flowed through my kitchen made the rising temperaturse much more bearable. There’s just nothing like a warm summer breeze, sweet fresh blueberries, and good company. After all, part of the fun of baking is sharing with the ones you love.
Welcome back to you, summer! I see many more fresh salads, sweet berries, and tantalizing treats to come.
Wild Blueberry and Lemon Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1-1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 TBS warm water, whisked together
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 TBS Earth Balance or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract (optional)
- zest from 1 lemon + extra for garnish
- oats (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and wild blueberries.
- In another bowl, combine prepared egg replacer, sugar, almond milk, earth balance/coconut oil, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon zest.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Evenly distribute batter into 6 muffin cups. (If you have a 12-cup muffin tin, you can easily double the batter or fill half of the tin with water instead of batter to ensure even baking.)
- Sprinkle oats and extra lemon zest on each muffin, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire-rack. Enjoy with freshly squeezed lemonade.