Happy Monday! How was your weekend?
Mine was (not surprisingly) busy, but this time it was filled with outings rather than mounds of homework… and that’s just how I like it. However, being out so much didn’t leave much time for food preparation for the week. When this happens, I usually try to make the simplest recipe that I know will keep me adequately fueled.
It’s times like these that I revert to old favorites that I can practically make in my sleep. Don’t let the time simplicity fool you; these sun-dried tomato basil lentil burgers are full of flavor! I love eating them on a big romaine lettuce salad filled to the brim with fresh veggies and topped with a drizzle of dijon mustard. Yum!
Sun Dried Tomato Basil Lentil Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
- 8 oz precooked lentils (i.e. from Trader Joe’s; you can make your own if you have more time, but the flavor will be different)
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce/tamari)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients until just combined. Be careful not to process too much or the mixture will become paste-like. Leave a little texture instead!
- Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces. Shape into patties/burgers using your hands.
- Cook on a medium high heat in a non-stick skilled for ~3 minutes on each side, or until a gold-brown crust is achieved.
- Enjoy on a bun, salad, or as is! They’re even lovely cold.